Postponed to September
Operation Hope 2018 Team members
Eldrene (NSW), Wafaa (QLD), Simon (QLD) Erica (NSW), Leanne (QLD)
Update 28 February, 2018:
We have had to make the heartbreaking decision to postpone our trip!
The Iraqi govt ban on international flights into Erbil airport (In Kurdistan, Northern Iraq) has now been extended to 31 May – and there is no guarantee that the airport will reopen then.
Our plan is to obtain Iraqi visas, fly to Baghdad airport and then take a domestic flight into Erbil airport.
So September is looking like the best month to travel.
In the meantime, I am going to be very busy obtaining a shipping container and filling it with donated items to be shipped from Newcastle, New South Wales to Iraq in July.
If anyone is interested in donating to the shipping container project that will be $15,000+ please donate by:
1. make a deposit to the Bank Account
Account Name: Operation Hope
BSB 034 087 Account Number 04 5791
2. donate using credit card or paypal via our website:
Operation Hope volunteers from Australia are travelling to Iraq in March 2018 for a month.
Once again, we will be volunteering with two Non Government Organisations: Adventist Development Relief Agency (ADRA), and Adventisthelp. We will be mostly working in the Hassan Sham U2 camp located 25 kms east of Mosul and other camps where ADRA have existing projects.
We plan to:
- Facilitate small psychosocial groups on mornings and afternoons. Group activities that match our team skills include English conversation classes, art, craft, sewing, knitting, music and children’s activities. Morning groups will cater for adults, while afternoon groups will provide music, art, craft and children’s activities for the children. Our programs will be coordinated with the ADRA psychologists to enhance the mental health care programs for the Internally Displaced People (IDP) in the camp.
- Team with ADRA in the educational program they are facilitating in a camp on the outskirts of Erbil to assist the leaders in their current project.
- Support our local Operation Hope team member, Darya Mustafa, when he visits the refugees and IDPs in the Erbil hospitals in the evenings and on weekends.
- Develop our contacts with hospital administrators in Erbil to assess their need for medical equipment and supplies. We plan to send a 20 ft shipping container of medical equipment and supplies to Erbil during 2018.
- hold small groups for women and girls to educate and hand out sanitary and health kits kindly made and donated by “Days for Girls”. There are no sanitary product provisions at the camps for the women and girls.
- Visit Alqosh, the ancient village 40kms north of Mosul, where the New Hope Trauma centre is located to offer small psychosocial groups at some of the many refugee and IDP camps in this region.
- Provide financial support for basic needs – food, blankets, clothes, pharmaceutical items.
- Provide surgical funding for refugees and IDPs.
Our immediate fund raising needs are:
- Purchase of suitable activity and psychosocial resources once we arrive in Erbil.
- Surgical costs for IDPs and refugees
- Provide food, blankets, clothes, pharmaceutical or medical items
All Operation Hope volunteers are fully self funded. Volunteers are accommodated in ADRA team houses in Erbil and travel by mini bus to the camps.